Friday January 25 2013
TAMUSA Student Alesha Heineman Provided us with a great summary of Bruce Howard's presentation yesterday.
55% of communication is indicated through body language! · Make a positive first impression. Dress for success! ·
5 Different types of nonverbal communication
1. Repetition- Example) Nodding your head up and down instead of saying yes.
2. Contradiction- Example) Frowning while greeting someone.
3. Substitution- Example) Smiling that you are excited instead of saying it.
4. Complimenting- Example) Patting someone on the back instead of saying, “Great job!”
5. Accenting- Example) Telling someone “No!” and pounding on the table at the same time. ·
Posture is important! Whether you are standing, sitting, walking, etc. ·
Be aware of gestures that you use while talking to someone. ·
Make eye contact but don’t stare down the person. Focus on their head. · Watch out for spacing.
Don’t get too close. · A handshake should consist of three shakes. ·
Your voice is a nonverbal communication. It is about the timing, pace, tone and direction. ·
Don’t use “ummmm”, “aaahhh” or “like” while speaking. ·
Prepare before an interview in order to be confident. · You should treat an interview like a test, study beforehand!